Gluten-Free Coconut Buns
These were better than the gluteny-buns I made at the same time for the gluten-eaters! I made these again the next day to re-test the recipe, and they evaporated (eaten by all, gluten-free and gluten-ful alike!). Enjoy warm!
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 TBSP yeast
–Proof in a warm oven for 15 minutes. While that’s happening, do other stuff:
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs
–Whisk into coconut oil/cream
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
–Whisk into coconut/egg mixture
–Add proofed yeast to coconut/egg mixture. Let it sit in a warm oven for 15 minutes.
- 2 cups Bakels gluten-free flour (it’s a blend- use your favourite for baking)-Use a spatula to scrape the sides of the bowl down, and form into a dough ball.
Rise in a warm oven for one hour.
Make a coating for them:
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 oil (rice bran oil or canola)
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup shredded coconutFor reference, I made 13 buns with this recipe, so each bun used maybe 3-4 TBSP of dough.
–Spoon a bun’s worth of dough into your hand.
-Form into ball.
-Drop in the coating and work it around.
- 1ish cups of shredded coconut
-After coating, toss in bowl of just shredded coconut, swish it so it’s covered.
–Transfer to baking pan. I’ve been using a spring-form pan with baking paper on the bottom, which works so well, and you get an awesome circle of buns which makes for nice presentation.
–Continue with all dough. Form ball, coat, cover in coconut shreds, put in pan.
-Let the pan of dough balls rise for one hour! <—Important!
–Bake at 175° (350°F) for about 45 minutes. Knock the bottom- if it sounds hollow (like when baking bread) and the coconut on top is nice and brown, they’re done.
–Serve warm. Mine rested 15 minutes, and then were put out with dinner, so all told probably 30 minutes from oven to mouth is ideal.-These were not nearly as good cold! If re-serving, highly recommend reheating gently.
So good! Thanks for stopping by.
Cheers and Happy Cooking, from Your Chief In Charge of Kitchen (Wangapeka).